JOSEPH Toluhi, North-West Zonal Director of Housing, Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, has threatened to revoke seven contracts in Kebbi site of the National Housing Programme.
Toluhi spoke on Wednesday in Birnin-Kebbi during an inspection of the National Housing Programme site in Kebbi.
He said that the threat was as a result of poor performance of the seven contractors out of 19 on the site.
According to him, the level of work on the site is encouraging except for some contractors who are performing below expectation.
“They are expected to have completed their works but are performing below expectations.
“For such contractors, we have some relevant clauses of the contract to invoke on them.
“Any contractor who fails to perform diligently on the job will have to give way for others to be engaged,” he said.
He said that the Federal Government was not indebted to the contractors and so had no reason to perform below expectations.
The zonal director said that the Kebbi site of the project had 76 housing units, adding that it was 65 per cent completed.
Mr. Alex Onwudiwe, the Team Leader, said that efforts were being made to complete the project and provide the needed infrastructure.
He said that the defaulting contractors had been contacted on the need to get their projects completed.
Onwudiwe said that 14 of the housing units had been completed, 42 at painting stage and eight at roofing stage.
The team leader said that the infrastructure project, consisting of water, electricity, roads, and drains were 60 per cent completed.
He said that labour and materials for the project were 100 per cent locally sourced
Credit: Real News