Kaduna – A community leader, who did not want to be mentioned, told newsmen that the attackers were on their way to a nearby community after wreaking havoc in Angwan Barde. The attack is coming barely 12 days after 40 people were killed and several houses burnt in Karamai village, still in Kajuru local government area.
“Gunmen has killed and burnt houses in Angwan Barde. They are done attacking Ungwan Barde, they are now advancing towards the next village which is Sabon Gida,” he said.
He said the killings started with some attacks on farmers in the area on Saturday, March 9. “They started isolated attacks yesterday. Someone voted and went to his farm and he was killed. Five people went to search for him and they were also attacked, one of them was killed and four came back alive. I am not in a position to give you casualty figures until the situation is calm, I don’t want to give wrong figures,” he said.
Yakubu Sabo, spokesman of the Kaduna state police command, did not respond to calls and a text message sent to his mobile phone on the issue. The first attack on the Angwan Barde was on Monday, February 11, when suspected herdsmen invaded the village at midnight and killed 11 people. The attack led to reprisals and many people were killed. Nasir el-Rufai, the governor, put the death toll at 130.
Meanwhile, it was previously reported that there was trouble at Ile Titun area of Ibadan as hoodlums set fire on the road, blocking free movement of people on the election day.
Unconfirmed reports had it that they were protesting the death of one their members, though the cause of death was not known.