A fire outbreak occurred on last Wednesday morning and destroyed properties worth millions of naira at Mamman Kontagora House, Marina, in Lagos Island.
The inferno, an eye witness said started at about 8:30am on Wednesday morning and the shout of fire, fire, rented the air as people ran helter skelter for safety.
According to a witness who works at the nearby Eko Electricity Distribution Company “we heard people shouting fire, fire and running out from the building. As you can see the building is opposite Nigeria Ports Authority fire service, but they could not respond on time when the fire started.”
When contacted, the Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Razaq Idowu Fadipe, said “we got a call at about 9:30am this morning, and I immediately deployed our men and truck with 10,000 litres of water to the place immediately and within seven mimites they got there.
“On getting there, we discovered that the third and fourth floor where on flame and black smoke were coming out from there as a result of the two giant generating sets and two tank of diesel that exploded. “But with the help of other agencies, like Nigeria Ports Authority, Julius Berger, Federal Fire Service, Lagos Fire Service and UBA fire service, we would not have been able to quench the fire.”
On the cause of the fire, Fadipe said there where generators working at the third flood, and this could probably been affected as a result of power surge without anybody noticing it.