The family house of a former chairman of Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) Mrs. Vivian Anazodo and furnishings worth billions of naira located in Garki have been destroyed by fire.
No valuable item was salvaged except her international passport and certificates belonging to her children.
She has however refuted the claim that it was a case of arson.
In a chat with newsmen in Abuja on Monday, the former AMAC boss said she suspected the fire to have happened as a result of a faulty wiring since the house was not used for more than seven months.
She, however, appreciated the Federal Fire Service, Area 10 whose response put out the fire that engulfed the executive bungalow for more than six hours.
“I want to say that I am proud of the Fire Service men that came from Area 10. They did so well.
From the ferocity of the fire I saw that night, if not for them, maybe the whole street and especially the hotel adjoining my house would have been completely burnt down but with their intervention, only my own house was burnt completely.
They did their job professionally without even knowing the identity of the owner,” she said.
While narrating the incident, she said it started around 6:00 pm and was finally put out around 2 A.M the following day.
According to her, she did not have the emergency number of the firemen otherwise the damage would have been minimal.
“I want every Nigerian to have essential services numbers like the fire service, police, ambulance, etc.
If I had the number of the fire service, I would have called them earlier.
So, for nearly one hour, I did not contact them because I was totally in a confused state but when eventually a neighbour called them, they came and salvaged what they could do.”
The house located in Area 2 is an executive bungalow well furnished to taste.
While asked to estimate the cost of the burnt house, she declined, saying that won’t be necessary but admitted that from the debris, so much money was lost.
Anazodo who was chairman of AMAC under the military regime is said to be the best boss the council has ever had in recent times.