The government, in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Muslim Folami, said the decision to shut down the market was based on the fact that it had become a security threat as well as a hide out for hoodlums who attack innocent citizens and commuters in the area.
He said government was passionately committed to the safety of lives and property of residents in the state and would not allow any potential security threat to thrive.
Folami, therefore, urged traders in the affected market to comply with the directive, just as he warned that those who flout the order would face the wrath of the law.
The Commissioner, however, said government would not hesitate to also close down any of such illegal market in any part of the state in the overall interest of the people.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State government has justified the demolition of houses and other structures in the Abete-Iwaya area of Yaba on Friday, claiming the structures were built without approval. The state’s Ministry of Physical Planning & Urban Development said it carried out the demolition in order to return the land to its rightful owners.
Public Affairs Officer of the ministry, Mrs. Olubukonla Nwonah, said the land belonged to the University of Lagos (UNILAG). “The demolition is from our office. The property belongs to UNILAG. The development has no permit. All necessary statutory notices had been served before demolition,” she said.
A non-governmental organisation, Just Empower Initiative (JEI) at the weekend claimed the government failed to give appropriate notices and had failed to make plans to resettle the affected residents.
Source: The Guardian