Home » Real Estate » Success’ viral video: Delta begins construction works in school after demolition
Delta

Success’ viral video: Delta begins construction works in school after demolition

The Delta State Government has finally pulled down the two structures serving as the Okotie-Eboh Primary School l in the Sapele Local Government Area of the state from where a pupil, Success Adegor, was sent home in March for failure to pay her examination levies.

It was gathered that the Head Teacher of the school, Mrs. Vero Igbigwe, who was suspended for allegedly collecting unauthorised fees from the pupils, had been recalled.

The deplorable state of the school attracted public attention following a viral video in which Success was protesting the decision to send her home due to her parents’ failure to pay her second term examination fee.

Igbigwe was suspended by the state government after the then Commissioner for Education, who is now the Secretary to the State Government, Mr. Chiedu Ebie, visited the school on March 18, 2019.

When newsmen visited the school on Thursday, it was learnt that the pupils had been relocated to the neighbouring Okotie-Eboh Primary II to pave way for the reconstruction of their school.

It was observed that the one-storey building and the bungalow housing the classrooms had been demolished for the construction of a new block of classrooms.

Our correspondent reports that construction is at the damp proof course level with the work expected to be completed in September when the new academic session will begin.

One of the workers on the site said, “We started work about two weeks ago with the demolition of the two buildings. What we are constructing now is one-storey building with 10 classrooms and offices.

“The major challenge we are facing is the rain; the job is expected to be completed before the commencement of the new academic session.”

It was gathered that the suspended school head, Igbigwe, was recalled to her duty post at the beginning of the third term.

An official of the State Ministry of Education confirmed the development but declined to give further details as he was not authorised to speak on the subject.

The source explained that the panel of enquiry earlier constituted by the state government had submitted its findings, which had not been made public.

When contacted, Ebie declined to speak on the matter and directed our correspondent to the new Commissioner for Education, Mr. Patrick Ukah.

Ebie said “Why are you calling me? In what capacity are you calling me? There’s a new commissioner there now. That’s why I am asking you in what capacity you are calling me.

“The last time you called me was because I was the commissioner. You didn’t call the SSG at that time. Call the commissioner please.”

However, efforts to reach Ukah proved abortive as repeated calls to his telephone line rang out as of the time of filing this report.

Credit: Punch

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*