Fire destroys property worth N7 million at a seven rooms apartment along the popular B.A.D road in Lafia, Nasarawa State.
Eyewitnesses told newsmen in separate interviews on Tuesday in Lafia that the fire started at 11.30 a.m from one of the rooms and later spread to the other rooms.
Ms. Aisha Ishaq, an eyewitness, and member of the affected family said she raised alarm to attract neighbours when she saw flames coming from one of the rooms.
According to her, there is no electricity or gas cooker to spark up the fire as electricity connected to the house was earlier disconnected by Abuja Electricity Distribution Company because of her father’s inability to pay the bill.
Another witness simply identified as Ishaq commended the efforts of the community and Fire Service personnel that made several attempts to put out the inferno but to no avail.
“Although the community came out with water to put out the fire, their efforts yielded no positive result as the fire has already spread beyond control,” he said.
The owner of the property, Mr. Isiaka Baban-Uwa, said he was perplexed, saying that he has lost over N7 million to the inferno.
“In fact, I am confused right now; it is hard to believe that all that I labour for years has gone just in a day.
“The property that was destroyed is more than N7 million as am talking to you now. l lost all that I labour for years.
“I have 18 children with three wives here; where will they live now that my house is destroyed by fire,” he said.
Baban-uwa, however, appealed to relevant authorities, especially Nasarawa State Emergency Management Agency, and philanthropists to help him.
Mr. Dogara Dalhatu, an official of the State Fire Service, confirmed the fire incident, saying the remote and immediate causes of the inferno cannot be immediately established.