NO fewer than 10 rooms and five shops with goods and valuables worth millions of naira were destroyed in the inferno that occurred in Bariga area of Lagos metropolis on Tuesday morning.
The inferno, according to the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Mr Michael Akindele, affected nine rooms at No 43, Shogbamu Street and a room at No 45 of the same street in Bariga, in the New Garage area of Somolu.
Five shops in the area, with goods worth millions of naira, were said to have been consumed by the inferno, reported to have been caused by an electrical surge from an electronics shop.
Nigerian Tribune learnt that the fire started around 6.00 a.m. and efforts to get officials of the Lagos State Fire Service and Ikeja Electricity Company to the scene failed, a development that made residents resort to self-help, pouring water on the fire to put it out.
An electronics dealer in the area, Mr Tajudeen Bakare, said he lost goods worth N105 million.
According to him, two people trying to put off the fire were electrocuted and were later hospitalised and discharged.
Men of the Lagos Fire Service came late, but were without water to put out the fire, a development that drew the ire of some street urchins, popularly known as area boys, in the area.
“In fact, I was there when my shops started burning, but there was nothing I could do. I was helpless because I didn’t have the capability to put the fire out.
“It was not the meter that caught fire, because I always put off the meter any time I am leaving for home. I own two out of the eight shops that got burnt. I lost property worth 105 million,” Bakare stated.
Another trader, simply identified as Sherifat, said the cloth she was putting on was the only thing left with her after the fire incident.
“I lost over N2 million. Just yesterday (Monday), I brought some goods to the shop. Pots in different sets, coolers, buckets, among others. Nothing is left,” she stated.