Forty-three families have been rendered homeless following an inferno at an estate populated by make-shift homes popularly called ‘Batcher’ along Ada-George/Wimpey-Iwofe link road in Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State.
It was reported that a church building located within the ‘Batcher’ estate with property worth millions of Naira were also caught in the fire.
Eyewitnesses said the fire started after an overheating cooking gas which was being used to boil noodles exploded.
One of the victims, Ekwot said, “The fire started when one woman who was cooking noodles abandoned what she was cooking on the gas. The thing she was cooking was entirely dry.
“The overheating caused the gas to explode and the Batcher caught fire immediately and spread to other Batchers. The only thing I have left is what I’m currently wearing. All my properties are gone. I was at work when they called me.
“We need help, many of us are displaced.
A member of the affected Church, Deacon Ebere Ihume said, “Our Church was razed. We don’t know how we will worship on Sunday but we will gather and serve God.”
The Rivers State Government is yet to react to the incident.
Credit: Daily Post