Home » Real Estate » Lagos landlords seek compensation for buildings Ambode demolished
buildings

Lagos landlords seek compensation for buildings Ambode demolished

Some residents of the Igbogbo/Bayeku community in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State on Monday protested against the demolition of their buildings by the Akinwunmi Ambode-led administration.

The protesters, led by the chairman and secretary of the community’s association, Jacob Arogundade and Taiwo Folarin, demanded compensation from the state government.

Arogundade said out of over 700 properties that were demolished by Ambode’s administration, 96 people were compensated while others are yet to be paid.

He said, “The last administration only paid compensation to about 10 per cent of the buildings and shops demolished and left the remaining 90 per cent suffering.

“We are appealing to our listening governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to look into the issue of payment so that the poor and forgotten people of Igbogbo community whose properties were demolished by the last administration in the state would be compensated.”

In a letter addressed to the governor, the residents noted that the present administration had promised to compensate them if elected, adding that they were surprised that nothing had been heard since Sanwo-Olu assumed office.

The letter read in part, “Your Excellency, we have all seen the list of compensation with our names publicly displayed in Room 22 of the Ministry of Lands and also in the accounts office Room 35 ready for payment but waiting for your approval. In the name of Almighty God, have mercy on us and approve the payment.”

Responding on behalf of the speaker of the state House of Assembly, a lawmaker, Tobun Abiodun, appealed to the protesters to be patient as the matter would be looked into by the House.

Credit: Punch Newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*