The Lagos State Special Taskforce on Land Grabbers says it has commenced investigation into an alleged attempt by some land grabbers to take over some communities in the Ayobo area of the state.
A statement on Saturday signed by the coordinator of the task force, Mr. Owolabi Arole, states the attention of the state’s Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice had been drawn to the peaceful demonstration recently staged by the residents of the communities.
The residents had alleged that some land grabbers had been terrorising the communities.
Arole said although the task force had not received any formal reports from the affected communities, the agency in conjunction with the Lands Bureau and Directorate of Public Prosecutions would look into the matter and ensure appropriate actions were taken.
The statement read, “It is pertinent to note that the Lagos State Government through the Special Task Force on Land Grabbers is committed to reducing to the barest minimum the activities of persons who use force and intimidation to dispossess or prevent any person or entity from acquiring legitimate interest and possession of property acquired.
“We thus receive with serious concern, the land grabbing reports leveled against certain persons in Ayobo area and we have since commenced Investigation into the allegations. We would like to assure the affected residents of the area that the Lagos State Property Protection law of 2016 would take its full course in this regard.”